The Corning Flint Glass Works was established in 1868 and incorporated in 1875 as Corning Glass Works. Through the years many changes took place as technology and business changed. Currently Corning Incorporated headquarters occupies this spot.
This is the building at the northeast corner of Market and Pine. In 1896 Robinson & Gamman, wholesale dealers in dry goods, occupied the building. In 1902, the Greig department store moved in. The First National Bank purchased the Drake Block in January 1910 and remodeled it. The bank occupied the west half of the first floor and Terbell-Caulkins druggists the east half. Offices filled the other floors.
This home was built for Arthur Houghton, Jr., who was president and treasurer of Corning Glass Works. It sat where Corning Free Academy now sits.
This home sat at the corner of Denison Parkway and Chemung Street, where the former Corning Hospital was sited.
Corning Brick Works was established in 1878 by Charles A. Rubright, a veteran of the Civil War who survived 9 ½ months in Andersonville Prison. In 1896 Morris E. Gregory bought the business and changed the name to Corning Terra Cotta and Supply Company, often referred to as Corning Brick and Terra Cotta Works. It was located east of the railroad tracks from Pulteney Street to the Chemung River. This is the area of the Decker Building, Rakow Library, and other Corning Incorporated structures.
Q.W. Wellington was the President of Q.W. Wellington and Co. Bank. His home is a Second Empire-style house with a slate mansard roof. It has a carriage house next to it. This house was built around 1871. The exterior has been altered and the tower has been removed. In 1957 it was converted to a nursing home – Pine Crest Manor. It has since been restored to a single family dwelling.
Hawkes Rich Cut Glass Works was established in 1880. Hawkes eventually had two buildings. Recently the original signs were restored on both buildings.
This Romanesque Revival-style stone church was built in 1867. It is the oldest existing religious structure in Corning.
The Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim Railroad and the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railroad were based in this 1880 building erected by Walker & Lathrop on the southeast corner of Pine and Tioga Avenue. The CC&A was owned by the Fallbrook Company with A.H. Gorton as superintendent. In 1875 the New York Central united with the Fallbrook. A.H. Gorton was the superintendent from Geneva to Wellsboro, Pa. The current parking garage was designed to imitate this building.
This building was built in 1873 on the northwest corner of Walnut and Third Streets. The building was condemned and razed in 1934.
178 Pine Street was built around 1865 for Charles Houghton who was vice president of Corning Glass Works. This home still sits on the southeast corner of Pine and Second Streets.
This elegant house was designed by H.G.Tuthill for banker F.N. Drake. It sat at 45 West Second Street and is now the playground area of Corning Free Academy.
St. Mary’s Academy was built in 1881. It became St. Mary’s Parochial School and was eventually razed for more modern additions. The current All Saints Academy sits on its site across the street form St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church.
Irish immigrants first established a wooden church on the corner of West First and State Streets in 1849. Ground was broken in 1866 for the stone church we know today as St. Mary’s. It was completed enough so that the St. Patrick’s Day Fair was held in it in 1869. The church was dedicated October 8, 1871.
Joseph F. Moore was a ticket agent at the Erie Depot. His home sat at 170 E. First Street.
G.R. Brown was superintendent of the FBC Co. and resided in this home located at 4 East Fourth Street. The house is an Italianate house which was built circa 1875. The hitching post picture on the 1882 map still stands in front of this home.
The information provided here about the historic buildings highlighted on the 1882 map of Corning, New York, was compiled by Peetie Dimitroff on June 8, 2011.