A glass company based in Corning, NY, T.G. Hawkes & Co. (c.1880-1959) specialized in cutting fine brilliant cut glass and tableware. The company was established by Thomas Gibbons Hawkes (1846-1913). Born in Ireland, Hawkes immigrated to Brooklyn in 1862, and then moved to Corning to work for the Hoare and Dailey Cut Glass Firm. He opened his own cut glass firm in 1880. This firm, T.G. Hawkes & Co., soon became famous for quality wares. Hawkes' glassware was used in the White House from 1885 until 1938. In 1903, he brought Frederick Carder from England to establish the Steuben Glass Works.
Myers, Susan H. “The Smithsonian Institution and American glass manufacturers 1917-1929.” Journal of Glass Studies, v. 51, 2009, p. 176-197.
O'Connor, D. Thomas. “Heritage in Glass: Sarah Sally Hawkes Thornton.” Glass Collector's Digest, v. 4, no. 4, Dec. 1990/Jan. 1991, pp. 10-11+. Reminiscences of T. G. Hawkes and Samuel Hawkes.
White, Gwen. “Thomas G. Hawkes and Brilliant Cut Glass Industry in America.” The National Early American Glass Club, Pittsburgh Chapter, [April 1992, pp. 2-7.]